The Health Professions Council of Zambia is established under the Health Professions Act No. 24 of 2009 of the laws of Zambia. The core functions are to:
- Licence health facilities,
- Register health practitioners and regulate their professional conduct,
- Approve and recognise training programmes for health practitioners, and
- Accredit health services.
The Council Secretariat is headed by the Registrar and supported by 26 members of staff. The Registrar is the Chief Executive Officer and Secretary to the Council and to all its Committees. The Registrar is also responsible for implementing, managing and overseeing the day to day operations of the Council. The council Secretariat is made up the following departs
- Registration Department;
- Inspections Department;
- Licensing and Accreditation Department;
- Human Resource and Administration Department;
- Information Technology Unit;
- Accounts Unit;
- Public Relations Unit;
- Procurement Unit; and the
- Internal Audit Unit.